Thursday, April 12, 2018

Thursday Thoughts...

“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.” 

Dalai Lama

Oh my goodness I love this one.  I actually quote it (or more accurately, paraphrase it) every now and again because it is so apt and so true.

Worry is really not at all helpful. If you can do something about a situation, problem or issue, there is no need to worry. If you can't do something about the situation, problem or issue then there is no point worrying!

No need or no point. Simple.

I need to remind myself of this regularly, and I am getting better at actually putting it into practice.

Not worrying doesn't mean I don't care; it means that I now try not to waste anxious and stomach churning time on something I can't fix.

I could instead do something about a part of it or a bit of it and that helps.


Sometimes, the small thing I can do is make art and share it...

6 comments:

  1. Fiona - Thank you for this. I have a very bad tendency to worry over things in the past. In the words of the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, I give them "persistent or nagging attention" ... ironically, the individuals who often figure in my ruminations are long gone from this mortal coil. Talk about a waste of time and energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand Liz - I am a newbie at thinking like this; but am finding it so much more helpful! When you think about it there is absolutely no point in worrying about things from years ago with folk who aren't alive; but we are wired to spend time there somehow. I am pleased to have this sort of a framework to use to think through things now - helps give me a sense of perspective I think. Go well.

      Delete
  2. I have many phrases along these lines. One I try to go with is.... fix the bits you can fix, ask for and accept help where its needed and the rest can wait.
    Or, 'how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time' for tackling big stuff.
    Or, 'how do you eat a box of frogs? Pick the strawberry one first' for when lots of tasks, start with the pleasant ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for my tardiness Beverley; but I do like all of these! Asking for and accepting help are both challenges I am getting better at accepting...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.