Sunday, August 6, 2017

Ten little books...

Wow! I have reached the end of the book making for the Sydney Contemporary and it feels amazing.

A part of me never really understands why I get so involved in adding some many things to my books; even tho they don't end up looking busy, there are so many processes in there, and to me they feel necessary and important, so for whatever reason, I do them.

My final hurdle this week was to do 40 5cm x 5cm panels of tightly written calligraphy.

I could do 3 panels an hour; so the whole effort took me about 14 hours of writing and drawing up.  My hands and arm ached that's for sure.

That came on top of four etchings, two other small pages of calligraphy, two typeset pages and one stamped page per book (x 10). Enough.

A stash of 10. Yay!


They are small (only 10cm x 10cm) and feel good in the hand.  It's quite an intimate time spent with them, slowly turning and reading and wondering...


They are very much the siblings of he walls works - incorporating the words and images, but in different ways.  The books contain all four etchings and all four sets of words - but only in calligraphy. And there are a couple of additional elements that appear only in the books.


You can see the text squares appearing, and the etchings.



One of the single line of calligraphy pages, with stamping in the bottom right.



Another single line calligraphy page and a text block too.


The colophon.


A little book doing a handstand kind of. Stitched with red waxed linen thread in a coptic binding. stitch.


Feels good to be done!

12 comments:

  1. Really beautiful and worth all the labour ( of love)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Louise - it was indeed a labour of love and it feel good to be finished - very satisfying in fact! Go well.

      Delete
  2. finished stacks of books feel so good. awesome job, fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed V - a finished stack of books is a thing of beauty and wonder I reckon...Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ahh Mo - I would love that to be my byline! Love it!

      Delete
  4. F- an amazing body of work both in terms of the important content and the art to support each part. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B - yes a lot of love and car and thought and planning went into them; I hope they hold together and share the story.

      Delete
  5. Awesome work. You ca,n be proud of yourself !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick! It feels good to be finished and I am really happy with these books. Go well.

      Delete
  6. Great! I like that very much and it inspires me. Beautiful work!
    Greetings
    Solveig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Solveig, I am pleased to be finished. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.